Thursday, April 17, 2008

Potty training turned bad

W started potty training at 23 months. There were compromises we made to get him trained because he was so young.

We were very motivated b/c the childcare on the cruise we were taking when he would be 25 months was open to potty trained children. At least that was the quote on the website. It ended up not being true - but he was still trained.

So back to the compromises. We would allow William (at the time it was cute - to us) to potty outside if necessary. We'd be on our way somewhere, he'd have the urge - and we'd jerk to the side of the road and let him relieve himself. Well, the down side is . . . 18 months later, he's still doing it.

I'm torn between laughing and being completely embarrassed that my 3.5 year old 'whips it out' in public. The fact that I'm blogging about it must mean I find it more funny than embarrassing.

He's done it at Busch Gardens (though I caught him before he soaked a couple of moms in front of him).
He's done it a MGM on Main Street in front of Tammy & Kent who remind us of the event (I can't remember if we stopped him that time).
He's done it at the spray ground in Hyde Park (I pretended I didn't see him doing it).
He secretly exited at Patrick & Abby's one night because he didn't know where their bathroom was (she caught him on their back porch).

So a couple weeks ago, we had a play date at the park with a bunch of friends. The boys were running wild. The girls weren't. It was fun. Until a friend (William thanks you, Christina) saw the following taking place and captured it for eternity (well, at least until his wedding day).


I'm told it looks like I'm cheering him on. I'M NOT. But what was I supposed to do? By the time I got to him, I couldn't stop him mid-stream!
Hopefully we'll never see the people that were eating lunch just to the left of the basketball hoop again (totally not joking about that).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Too, too funny! Remind me to tell you my beach story.

Uncle Steve-Aunt Debbie said...

I'll check the family photo archives just to make sure that this isn't a trait that follows his dad.

Film at 11 ???????