Friday, December 19, 2008

Progress

It can be hard to see progress in the midst of it. It can be hard to see it when it moves so slowly.
When William was a baby, it felt like his progress moved slowly. I'm sure part of it was my longing to do more things with him. Being able to have him repeat words. Then saying full sentences. Then having his own thoughts and expressing them. He just couldn't get bigger quick enough. I will say, I'm perfectly content with where he is now. I've told him plenty of times, "Don't get any bigger!"
With Madelyn, I have not wanted her to progress. I've said, "You don't need to crawl. You're just fine sitting right there." When my grandmother was trying to get her to walk, I said, "She doesn't need to walk. She's just fine crawling."
With kids, progress happens. You can't stop it. And I'm relatively convinced, you can't really speed it up. They're going to go at the speed that God intended.
Now, home repairs. There is one that can stop. It can come to a freekin' halt. As I have discovered, Brad can do something to speed it up. Sometimes with sugar. Sometimes with vinegar.
Mid-November, our damaged hard wood floors along with the kitchen cabinets and granite and pantry items were removed. Fans and dehumidifiers were installed. And then, it felt as though all progress stopped.
I understand that we couldn't see the slab drying out. Which is what it was doing. But it took weeks.
Then . . . it happened. They were dry. And a very exciting step to the entire process occurred. They laid the floors down.
Then we waited.
20 days.
And the lacquer was added. Well, the first coat.
By the end of this weekend, all the coats will have been added.
And we'll wait.
Again.
For them to dry.

Here are the guys adding the lacquer.



Progress.

No comments: