Saturday, March 29, 2008

"Good"

Good Friday. Good? I'd say so. I remember as a child asking my mother why we called 'Good Friday' good. I still remember the point of her explanation - that without Jesus' death on the cross, there would have not been an Resurrection Easter Sunday.
A couple years ago, Brad & I had the discussion and came to the conclusion that we would like to take Good Friday and make the day a special family day. Regardless of what the schools are doing (which I heard our county had 60% absentee rate), we'd like to celebrate the day that is the center of our faith.
So, we did. We took the kids to the park and played and had a picnic. The weather was incredible. It was quiet. We really enjoyed the time. William said, "There's nothing in the sky."



W enjoying his relaxing picnic time.



Then we ended the day with the Good Friday service. We didn't have, or maybe we just didn't attend, a service on Good Friday growing up. But I have come to really treasure it. Our church has been doing a worship service on Good Friday for 5+ years.
It really gets my heart centered and mind focused on the weekend. It is truly my favorite holiday. And the worship service on Friday night gets me headed in the right direction.

No comments: